Thursday, January 28, 2010

Empanadas Dulces


Guava and Cheese. One my favorite combinations. My family is from South America, and this pairing is often used in several dishes. On a personal note, I ask myself is this combo sweet or savory? It kind of is a little of both, which makes it a unique contribution to a brunch, or other friendly gathering. And folks, it couldn't be easier. I would not lie to you. Thanks to the consumer demands of busy Americans, this three-ingredient dish (yes, I will repeat, THREE) are all available in almost every market.

Here's what you need: 1 pack of Pillsbury pie-crusts (Shh! Don't tell Charlie I don't make my own crust like he does), 1 block of GOYA (or any other brand) Guava Paste, and 1 block of cream cheese. Um, that's it. That's right. You CAN do this.

1. Use a cookie cutter and cut out disks from the rolled out Pillsbury dough.
2. Like our Piadina (blog post #1), place the filling (one tsp of guava paste and one tsp of cheese) on 1 side of the disk.
3. Fold over the dough to create a half-moon shape.
4. Wet the edges just a touch with water and press with a fork to seal in the filling.

See? You have made an empanadita! Make as many empanadas as possible, then roll the dough scraps back out. Try to make enough dough for a few more disks...

When finished, bake according to the packaged directions. Serve warm, not hot. The filling will be quite hot, so you must wait at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve them as an appetizer or, as I prefer, as a desert. ¡Buen Provecho!

(Another variation is using dulce de leche in place of the guava. That combination is equally as interesting and delicious!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm smelling a dulce de leche addition in there somewhere. Let's experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've saved me! I was wondering what I could make for an appetizer for a dinner this week. Love you, David!!!

    ReplyDelete