Thursday, March 3, 2011

Zumo con Gas


It is citrus season here in Spain, and the fruits are literally falling off the trees heavy with juice. At Paradiso, the frutería which I haunt weekly, there is a box that can be found at the entrance. This box is loaded with oranges on sale, mere euros for kilos upon kilos worth of citrus(many of which still have leaves connected to the tops. There are adorable).

My friend has a grapefruit tree (which I also haunt [almost] weekly) in his front yard. Between both sources, my tiny kitchen was packed full of citrus. On the first warm day last week, my friend and I juiced 10 fruits: 5 oranges, 2 lemons, 3 grapefruit. What better way to bring in the warm weather than fresh juice? Pump it up with some cool, sparkling water. (I use Vichy Catalan, a Spanish brand of sparking mineral water, or agua con gas. My flatmates call me addicted.)

Materials:
10 citrus fruits of your choice. Stick to one, or mix it up like we did!
1 1.5 L bottle of sparkling water
Sevral dashes of sugar or honey to cut the tang (if using bitter citrus)

Serves 4.

Method:
Juice your cirus. If using, add some of your sweeter of choice. Ratio is half/half: Pour juice into a tumbler and top off with sparkling water. Serve on ice, or use chilled sparkling water. I prefer the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment