Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spanish Caprese


Caprese salad, an Italian staple of tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese, is easy to love. Back in New York, Charlie and I would order this often, several instances without even consulting the other. At this week's mercado I had bought an ab-normal amount of tomatoes. I had purchased them in hopes of making a gazpacho, but the work schedule this week did not lend itself to cooking. In an attempt to do something quick and easy, I thought of re-inventing a caprese salad by making it Spanish style.

1. Like many pinxos and tapas, I made my salad on tooth picks and skewers.

2. Instead of green basil, I added green olives.

3. Instead of Olive Oil and vinegar, I used Olive Oil and pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika)

4. Instead of mozzarella cheese, I cubed part of my wedge of queso currado mezcla, which is very typical here in Andalucia. It is, literally a "mezcla" or "mix" of goat, sheep, and cow's milk.

Ta Da! Instant tapita for after class... and it only takes 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment