Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Aperitivos Secos


I really wanted to blog this simply because I was surprised at the taste of what I purchased today and (obviously) how beautiful they looked. Dried items have been a staple in my diet here, and these three items (figs, almonds, raisins) are almost always on my shelf.

A big culture shock for me (being an extranjero) was the amount of junk food that is available in Spain. The kids here love their candy, but come on, who doesn't? In any case, the amount of "junk food" is equaled by the amount of dried snacks available. At almost every market, vendors have an array of dried fruits and nuts to purchase. I adore this. It is natural, healthy(ish), and fun. You do not know what some things taste like dried until you purchase them, for example, dried strawberries, or fresas secas. These are common. They are, without a doubt, delicious in every way. (If you mix them with peanuts, the combination tastes like peanut butter and jelly.) My other addiction: dried figs, and the battle between who's are better, Turkey or Spain. I also purchased almonds (a staple of mine), and I love mixing these with dried cranberries (arándanos secos) for a snack while in class.

Let me preface this with "I am so so sorry Charlie". I finally purchased something today that I have had my eye on forever. It is the one single item that Charlie despises more than anything in the world: raisins. Yes, Charlie, you may stop reading this now. For everyone else that actually enjoys raisins (myself obviously included), please read on. These raisins are dried on the vine and are the most delicious looking item you ever saw. In the correct light they are a beautiful Cabernet color. Enormous, they are plump, moist, and fall off the stems like roasted meat off a bone. Yes, the seed is inside (like all grapes in Spain; seedless must be an American thing), and they are everything a raisin should taste like.

I felt like Julia Child in My Life In France when she samples things at the Parisian markets she so frequently strolled. She often wrote how items had tasted, and how wildly different they were from the American version. These had such a strong, concentrated raisin flavor. It was so different, and I wish Charlie were here to sample it. He might not hate them as much if he had this one. I cannot wait to nibble on these as I ride the bus to Segovia for a mini-holiday for New Years. As I eat another one now I cannot help to lean back and smile. They are so much fun to eat off a vine!! Did I mention that they are still on the vine? I am sorry, but I can't get over how ferociously cool that is. It is going to be a fantastic new year! Happy 2011, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment