Sunday, December 19, 2010

Paella de Verduras


I should not write this post. I should not. But I am anyway because it was a beautiful night in (and out of) the kitchen. I have been in Spain for almost 4 months and I have not had yet had paella. I know, I know, "Shame on me". Apart from the obvious (it is a seafood dish), I have not had it for several reasons:

1. You are never able to order a paella for one, unless it is a tapa. Minimum two people always. And if someone is going to share a beautiful pan of paella with you, why (repeat) why share with a vegetarian?! ENJOY THOSE GAMBAS!

2. Everybody (actual Spaniards) have said to me that you should not order paella outside of Valencia. That is their dish, they are proud of it, and they have the best without question. All other paellas in other parts of Spain are secondary and not as good.

3. I am waiting for the right occasion to enjoy paella. For example, a birthday, a holiday, or finishing my finals perhaps? (T-16 hours!)

Again, I should not write this post. After I have had paella is when I should blog and try to break down the flavors. Instead, I am writing at my first attempt at making a paella. I have looked at several "authentic" recipes and they all use different rice to water ratios, etc. There were similar ingredients, and that is where I gathered my efforts: most importantly is arroz bomba (a rice used in Valencia made specifically for paellas. It reminded me a lot of the Italian aborio rice), salt, rosemary, white wine, lemon, pimentón, saffron, garlic, oil, peas, and onion.

So I did just that. I sauteed the onion with garlic and peas. I then added salt, pimentón, rosemary, and saffron. I deglazed the pan with 1 -1/2 cups of vino blanco (within the recipes I read, most of the ratios for wine wine were about a cup on average) and added my bomba rice. I kept adding salted water (as I had no stock on hand) and made it like a risotto. To stretch it out a bit, I added red peppers, a handful of spinach, and some tomato frito. I ended with a splash of lemon, which was seen in all recipes I read. It turned out delicious and I will absolutely make it again.

There are two things I also feel like I should mention there is a long, shallow pan in Spain made specifically for paellas called a pallera. Buy this online or come to Spain to purchase one!

In closing I have had my eye on this one restaurant that does, in fact, have a paella de verduras in Marbella. Have I been tempted? Of course, but the price is a little expensive. Perhaps I should wait to find such a menu when I visit Valencia. If Ben and Sylvia are reading this post, I am flattered you had 2 helpings of this trial for paella. May you have the very best of luck in Germany and will miss you both more than you know. Have a safe move. I love you.

1 comment: